Liability Insurance

What kind of liability coverage is provided by a typical homeowner's policy?

A typical homeowner's policy includes $100,000 of liability insurance, which won't go far if someone is severely injured. For a slight increase in premium you can raise that to $300,000 to $500,000, and some companies offer coverage of $1 million or more. Typically, coverage includes harm caused by your children and pets, except intentional harm if the child is over thirteen. If your pet attacks people routinely, the insurer may cancel your policy or refuse to renew it.

Most standard homeowner's policies do not cover:

Liability Insurance

What is an "umbrella" liability policy?

An umbrella liability policy, also called a "personal excess liability" policy, is designed to protect you in case of a big judgment that would quickly eat up your regular policy coverage. These policies are relatively inexpensive because the insurers are betting you'll never need to file a claim. Their coverage takes up where your home and auto policies leave off; thus you will need to have certain levels of basic home and auto liability insurance before you can qualify for an umbrella policy. Generally, these would be $100,000 in liability coverage on your homeowner's policy and $250,000/$500,000 on your auto ($250,000 per person, $500,000 per accident; or sometimes $300,000 in single-limit coverage).

Your premium for the umbrella policy will be determined based on the number of houses, rental units and vehicles you own. If you have one house and two cars, a typical premium costs $100-150 for $1 million in coverage. You will get $2 million in coverage for only about $50-$100 more in premium costs.


Copyright 2012 | Collins & Miller Insurance LLC | all rights reserved
 Disclaimer: This material is for informational purposes only and is not a contract. It is intended to provide a general description of products and services. Please remember that only an insurance policy or contract can give actual terms, coverage's, amounts, conditions and exclusions. For complete descriptions of the terms, conditions and exclusions of insurance coverage's or other products or services, please contact your independent agent or refer to the policy or service contract.
Licensed in the following states: Tennessee